Introduction | Hollyslide | HP30 1955 | HP30 1956 tan | HP30 1960 f2.7 stripes | HP30 1960 f1.6 stripes | Minomat | Minotact | Minomat N | HP 24 | HP 24 Autofocus | HP 24 carry case | Slides
The first Minox projector was made at the request of American Minox owners by the Hollyslide Company in 1950. It carries the Minox eye logo on the instruction manual, through an informal arrangement with Janis Vitols, at Minox Inc, New York, but not on the projector itself. It was not part of the MINOX product line. The Hollyslide projects standard 2x2" size cardboard mounts made for the 8x11 slides and also direct from the cellophane transparency holder.
Minox introduced Agfacolor reversal film and the Model HP30 at Photokina in 1954. It projects slides up to 15x15 mm in size. It was manufactured until 1963 and went through several modifications; in particular the two case designs tan leather and bluish-grey stripes.
During the first year of production the housing is a light grey with two ventilation slots, silver Minox eye logo with black lettering, no model information on the base, retractable front lens support, a cable switch, folding cooling fins, 75 watt lamp and a three element Minostar f2.2 30mm objective lens.
The following year the lens was changed to a 35mm f2.9 and the lamp upgraded to 100 watts. A black knob now adjusted elevation.
After 1956 the Minox eye logo is sliver on a black background. A data plate declared Type 3001, the switch is mounted on the back of the projector. The housing is a darker grey than previous versions.
In 1958 two lens where provided; the three element 35mm f2.7 Minostar or a four element 35mm f1.6 Minolux lens. The latter required a larger diameter and a screw in the slide changer allows the lens support to be changed.
From early 1960 the HP30 has a single large ventilator slot with fixed cooling fins. The reflector can also be adjusted when adjusting the lamp.
The original carrying case is made of light brown grained leather. After 1959 MINOX changed this to a light bluish-grey stripe washable plastic. In 1958 a projector equipment case was offered which held the projector and two slide boxes and a spare lamp.
The manual states that slides up to 15x15mm can be projected.
The Minomat (Type 3002) was designed by Louis L Lepoix Studio and sold in 1962. The upper housing is off white and the base grey blue, It uses a Minolux f1.6 lens in a remote controlled focus housing . The 150 watt lamps is fan cooled and electric motors change the slide and adjust the focus.
The top has four control buttons, and there is a cable remote. Grundig made an ultra-sonic remote control. A timer with delay range 5 to 45 seconds or a tape recorder can also be used to control the slide change.
The carrying case is in grey washable plastic. Space is provided for three magazines, a spare lamp, power cord, a remote control cable and other accessories. The lid of the case has a white surface and acts as a 22x22cm viewing screen.
The Minomat was replaced by the Minomat N in 1965.
The Minotact (type 3003) started production in 1963. Although looking similar to the Minomat they are internally very distinct. THe Minotact is a semi-automatic projector. It has a low voltage, 12 volt/ 100 watt, lamp and uses convention cooling. The lens is a 35mm Minostar f2.7. It shares the same magazines as the Minomat.
The ventilation is so good that even with a long show the projector only gets a little warm.
The carrying case is identical to the Minomat. After 1964 this was sold as an optional extra.
With the introduction of the HP24 in late 1970 projection of the Minotact wound down.
In 1964 the Minomat was superseded by the Minomat N (type 3004). Very similar to the Minomat the Minomat N has a 12 volt 100 watt lamp. The magazine transport was also improved and the magazine can now be changed without interruption.
The 35mm Minostar f2.7 of the Minotact is used. A cooling fan assists ventilation. It was discontinued in 1970 with the introduction of the HP24.
The Minox HP 24 projector was introduced in late 1970. It uses a 24 volt 150 watt halogen lamp, a double condenser and a 35mm Minogon f2.7 lens. It has an open magazine track and built in colling fan for the lamp and slides.
The control buttons on top of the projector are a cabled remote control. The back lifts up and it can be removed. The mains cable also coils up in this space and needs to be taken out to use. The front of the projector has a metal carrying handle. A 6 pin DIN socket allows a tape recorder to be attached and used to control slide change.
The standard HP24 is type 24303 and the autofocus version type 24304. The autofocus model uses a small motor controlled by two buttons on the remote. The first slide is manually set up and the remainder are automatically focused by the Leitz autofocus system.
A folding case of black plastic serves for carrying and storage. This was replaced by a simple dust cover.
Production creased in 1988, the last of the Minox slide projectors.
The HP24 is capable of projecting slides from 16mm (12x17mm) and 110 (13x17mm). It will accommodate the very thin 110 slides but these often jam and trap in the mechanism.
|HP 3001||35mm F2.7 Minostar, triplet
35mm F1.6 4 element Minolux
|MINOMAT 3002||35mm F1.6 Minoxlux||110 V/220 V 150W|
|MINOTACT 3003||35mm F2.7 Minostar||12 v 100 W|
|MINOMAT N 3004||35MM f2.7 Minostar||12 v 100 w|
|HP 24303||35MM F2.7 Minogon||24 V 150 W|
|HP 24304 Autofocus||35MM F2.7 Minogon||24 V 150 W|
Last Updated on 23rd October 2005